terça-feira, 22 de julho de 2008

North Eastern Brazil, Pernambuco and beyond

My time here in Pernambuco has been a real eye opener. I admit that I knew very little about this state, only that the financial climate is a fragile one and that the people are extremely open hearted. On these two points I was right on the money but what I didn't realise was just how beautiful the Sertao really is here. Whilst the majority of the orchestra have been sleeping I have been keeping a watchful eye on the surroundings and the ever changing face of Pernambuco. There is no doubt that the level of suffering here is completely un-acceptable but what has been the saving grace for me is the spirit of the people, the enthusiasm that they have for music and the packed concerts that have followed as on our way. I for one will never forget the faces of people as we layed a Frevo for our encore. Happiness cannot be measured in financial terms. This has never been so obvious here. Well done to SESC in Pernambuco, and I am happy to see a state embracing its culture in all its glory.!

2 comentários:

Anônimo disse...

David, I really love what you've written because it showed us how sensitive you are about everything around. I think exactly like you in respect to the people of Pernambuco, I could not agree more.
What surprised me most was the landscape I could see through the window of our bus. I liked very much getting to know you and sincerely hope I can meet you and Cris again. My best wishes for you both and mostly for your baby. Grande abraço (by Rosangela, with a little help of Zevang).

Anônimo disse...

Congratulo todos pelo esforço, dedicação e esmero despendidos na realização deste trabalho de disseminação da cultura brasileira pelas cidades do interior do nordeste. Ficamos agraciados e tocados pelo encanto e beleza que a Orquestra transmitiu com a sua apresentação de inestimável valor para toda essa gente humilde desprovida de acesso à cultura de alto nível.
(Gláucia Costa Petrolina-PE)